National History Day (NHD) is a non-profit education organization which involves students in conducting original research on historical topics of interest. These research-based projects are entered into contests at the local and affiliate levels, where the top student projects have the opportunity to advance to the National Contest at the University of Maryland at College Park. In addition to facilitating the discovery of the past, NHD also helps students develop the following attributes that are critical for future success:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills,
- Research and reading skills,
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills,
- Self-esteem and confidence, and
- A sense of responsibility for and involvement in the democratic process.